Saturday, January 31, 2009

What do you want to be when you grow up?

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
That is a question we all get/got asked at some point in our lives and one we ask our children as well. It's fun to hear how the answers change (or for that matter don't change) over the year.
I wanted to be a doctor or an archaeologist or a writer when I grew up. I did become an archaeologist, and have been both an EMT and a medical assistant, and do this for writing, so I did follow my dreams somewhat.
When I was younger, my parents told me we could be whatever we wanted to be when we grew up, to follow our dreams. Hindsight being what it is, I wish they had not done that. When I worked as an archaeologist, I held two jobs, since payday did not always come through with archaeology since grants were slow to be processed at times. I wish my parents had told me to be a doctor, and to follow archaeology as a hobby only.
Now my son tells me he wants to be an archaeologist or an artist or a writer. And I, well I want to tell him "no, don't go for those dreams". My brother tried life as an artist - he ended up frustrated and angry. Jobs as an archaeologist are few and far between, with cuts to state budgets, those jobs go first.
So what do I tell him - to go for his dreams or to go for reality?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a tough question in these days and times. My parents lived through the Great Depression so they taught me to seek a job with security, retirement, and benefits. Well, I retired from the Postal Service and although I'm not rich, I do feel relatively secure. Yet, sometimes I regret not going for the brass ring. I also wanted to be a writer and artist, but was discouraged by the warnings of family members.

Envoy-ette said...

My boys are also making plans. Pro soccer player and artist. The husband and I decided we would tell them to get a job that pays well enough to support an eventual family and the HOBBY of their dreams. We did tell Dan if soccer was his dream, then work hard through the University and try to make their soccer team. I tell you how it turns out in 15 years!