Thursday, June 10, 2010

Teaching the boy to drive

Lately, J has been asking us to teach him to drive. I'm not sure why, but my almost 12 year old has go it into his head that now is the time, and honestly, I don't see why not. My husband took him out tonight to practice in a local church parking lot.

Are we crazy? No, we have a standard 1995 Neon that we are using to teach him to drive. We hold this theory - the passenger can throw the car into neutral and pull the emergency brake. Plus, he is not allowed to shift out of first gear. It is an easy car to handle, and honestly, if he burns out the starter or the clutch, well, it is a 1995 Neon, it is not much of a loss. As it is, to quote hubby, "he turns like the Queen Mary" (does a demonstration of hands at 10 and 2 o'clock, primly turning a pretend steering wheel). Also, J is still young enough that he is actually listening to us when we explain things, unlike an older teen.

J came home very excited, he told me he "parked" the car all by himself . He told my husband that he is pretty sure that he is the only (almost) 12 year old practicing to drive in the neighborhood. He also informed me that I get to take him out practicing next time. Not sure how I feel about that one...

1 comment:

Envoy-ette said...

Ha! That is very funny and so sweet of J's parents to give in! I think 12 is fine, it's not like he'll be driving everyday. Just think what he'll be able to tell the kids at school in August?! LOL