Monday, October 20, 2008

Death and family

My family suffered a loss this past week, with my uncle passing away unexpectedly from lung cancer. While we took care off all the normal funeral arrangements, we observed several things.

1. Family can always make the time to come to a wake, but not to a celebration. We often think, "I visit later, or I see them around the holidays". Take the time today to tell your loved ones what they mean to you, resolve those differences, forgive those grudges. You may not have the time later on.

2. If a man's wealth can be assessed by the amount of folks who come to his wake, my uncle was a very rich man. The funeral home's parking lots were full, and street parking was at a max. The number of cars that went to the grave site was at least 1/2 mile long. I don't know if he knew how many lives he touched while he was alive, as my uncle lived a simple life as a carpenter, but I can only dream that I am able to touch that many people in my lifetime.

1 comment:

Envoy-ette said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your uncle. I do agree with you that funerals bring those who otherwise can't make the time for a visit. I wonder how my own sisters will feel when I'm gone. In 19 years of marriage, they've only visited me ONCE. I'm afraid my wake will not have that many people there. I'm serious.