Sunday, January 08, 2006

New Year's Resolutions

With the new year comes the new year's resolutions, which I absolutely detest. Normally, I would skip all pretenses of declaring how I will change in the coming year since, let's face it, 90% of resolutions are broken within the first two weeks anyway. However, this year I made one resolution: To be more tolerant of my coworkers. Notice how I did not say of people in general, no I am trying to be realistic in my goal. So far, I am sticking with it, although several of my coworkers are not following my lofty ambitions. They know of it and have already said to me several times "still going for that resolution, are you?".

Hubby has also made some resolutions, ones which I don't think are all that important. I have a list he could have chosen instead which would have much better benefits for me, but I guess it is about his growth not mine. One of his resolutions is to reduce clutter. Great, super. His computer desk is a mess, as is his garage space and his half of the closet. Except, he doesn't start in these areas, he starts in on MY kitchen counters. I walked into the kitchen yesterday, and notice that several utensils that I keep in a caddy missing. In fact, all of the utensils are missing and caddy is empty. Hubby thought it was cluttered and decided to put them in the already cluttered utensil drawers. I happen to look across the kitchen, as I am drawing a deep breath, and I see that the bread machine is gone. Where to? The garage. Why? Because that is where he plans to put his clutter, which makes no sense to me. Clear it out, don't just move it to a new space. Plus, he wanted to see if I would notice. Arrrghh!!!! Work on your clutter not mine!!

After a heated discussion, in which I insinuated that I would start in on his clutter if he didn't leave mine alone and he would find that it was gone for good; we agreed that he would focus on his own things first. This resolution thing is for the dogs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was funny. After almost 40 years of marriage, I think the best way to have a long, lasting marriage is to leave each other alone.

Dawn said...

We've had over a decade together, you would think it would have sunk in by now!

kilgorsky said...

It may be wierd, but this year I didn't want to make any resolutions.