Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election day

Election day for me is like Halloween for my son - I get all giddy and excited, practically skipping into the polling place. I don't know why, but I just want to shout "hooray" as I get my ID checked by the volunteers at the polling place. I always have a huge, silly grin on my face; as though this is the best place in the world to be (remembering that the voting booths are usually located in a well-used gymnasium), that it is my reward for a job well done.

I merrily head on to work where I then tend to harangue those I work with if they have not yet voted. Pity those who tell me they have no intention of voting - I'll bring up how thousands have died for the right to vote, how my husband has put his life on the line to maintain this right for them, but hey, whatever, it is their choice not to vote. It was fun to watch one of our newest co-workers squirm, since everyone else has already been through my tirade about voting and knows my passion about it as well. Actually, it is quite entertaining to watch, or at least that is what I have been told. Lest you get the wrong idea, my new co-worker knew to take my tirade in a tongue-and-cheek manner. Still, she'll be voting next election, you can count on that!

So if it is election day in your neck of the woods and you haven't voted yet, turn off the computer and go vote!

1 comment:

kilgorsky said...

You're the most enthusiastic person about elections I know.

Incidentally, I have just wrote my post on elections.