Wednesday, November 23, 2005

RAD kids

While I've been at work this week, the little monkey I call my son has had vacation. Luckily, the college I work at offers a "Discovery Kids Camp" which has all sorts of courses for the kids to do. Besides cooking and computers, the kids are learning what to do in dangerous situations, like attempted abductions.
Today, I got to watch the demonstration of the skills that my son had learned. He did a very good job defending himself, remembering to aim for the eyes and to kick at sensitive areas while screaming "no" and "you're not my dad". However, as I watched the padded "attacker" go after my son, lunging at him and grabbing him, I had such a feeling of distress. I assume it was similar to the feeling I would get if my son ever actually was attacked. I was close to tears. I felt so silly, yet I couldn't stop myself from felling that way. It is funny how the "mama bear" instinct kicks in, even when you know things are perfectly safe.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a good thing for the "attacker" that your Mama Bear Instinct didn't kick in all the way.

kilgorsky said...

I imagined you knocking the padded attacker out with some ninja stuff.

Envoy-ette said...

It is wonderful that you are giving him this class...mama bear.